RELAY FOR LIFE UPDATE and End of Year!

Posted by monica.gallagher | Uncategorized | Posted on May 14th, 2011

Thanks to everyone who participated and help raise funds for South Edmonson’s Relay for Life Team. Although the main event was moved indoors, we had a fun time and a successful event on Friday night. I am proud to say that we ranked in the top three teams of the county, again this year. We have meet our goal, raised over $5,000 and helped Edmonson County to a total of more than $60,000. Those are amazing numbers for our small community! Our herb plants sold very well, but we still have some left. Do you like cooking with fresh herbs? Do you like plants that are easy to grow and can self-seed next year? We have plenty of BASIL and PARSLEY plants free to a good home.

I am pleased to report that we have completed four end-of-year conferences and have more scheduled for this week. I am so proud to report our progress and hard work this year. It is not too late to come in and discuss your child. I even have to work on Saturday, May 21 and would be so happy to leave any meetings that I may be attending to come conference with parents! Please let me know if you would like to come in.

We have completed our last hardback  book in reading so there will be no more reading  or spelling tests!  YEAH! We will spend these last two weeks reviewing all we have learned and completing projects. Please look for some very important work coming home including: writier’s notebooks, poetry notebooks, science notebooks, and watermelon plants.

READING-review and assess

SPELLING-review and assess

WRITING- We finish our study, Reflective Writing as we look back and think about our growth as writers this year.

MATH-Chapter 10- “Measurement and Telling Time”  This week-TIME

SOCIAL STUDIES-Friends and school comminity

I truly hope that you will encourage your child to read AND write all summer long. I  believe that reading and writing go hand and hand and that writing is just as important as reading.  We will be studying telling time these final two weeks, which has been a difficult subject for students to learn. This should also be practiced over ther summer. Try to find real-world learning situations for your child to practice reading, writing and math. Go to the library and check out lots of  books, let your child write the grocery list,  figure our how much two pounds of bananas would be, read food labels and WRITE about everything your family does this summer! I asked the students to write me letters and I promise to write back if they do. I hope everyone has a great summer. I have so ejoyed working with all of our students and families. Ihave shared with the students that I know they are ready to move on to 2nd grade, but I will ALWAYS be their 1st grade teacher and they can always count on me for anything they need.  Keep in touch!

One Response to “RELAY FOR LIFE UPDATE and End of Year!”

1. Brooke says:

You are absolutely wonderful! We are so thankful for you!