BE HOMEWORK READY WITH THIS KIT

Posted by monica.gallagher | Uncategorized | Posted on August 28th, 2011

I received very positive feedback from last week’s post, so here is another “how to” idea. Enjoy!

BE HOMEWORK READY WITH THIS KIT! (adapted by M. Gallagher from  SIMPLEk-12Blogs)

Homework can be a teacher’s best friend and a parent’s worst nightmare. Homework should be a way to reinforce and practice what is being learned at school, not a daily chore that no one enjoys. We all have those nights when homework is not first on the priority list, but is an important part of learning and the school routine. Homework is upon us. Do you have all the tools your child will need handy? Here’s a way to avoid the last minute scramble by creating this useful Homework Tool Kit for your home.

This kit is designed to help with elementary-level homework. By putting it together with your kids and keeping  it in a convenient place, you’ll signify the importance of learning at home. You can keep it in a shoebox or a gallon-sized plastic bag.

CONTENTS:
• Sharpened pencils, and a box of crayons
• Counters, which can be anything you have multiples of in the house to support counting, adding, subtracting, and multiplying. Buttons, toothpicks, cubes, dried beans, popsicle sticks or uncooked pasta (penne, ziti, bowtie), can all be good counters.
• Dice
• A bag of change with a variety of coins
• Flashcards, you can buy them, or it’s easy to make some out of index cards
• Notebook
• Glue sticks and scissors
• A deck of playing cards

A cookie sheet is also handy to keep with your tool kit. It makes a great magnet board for adding and subtracting or for practicing problem solving. You can use your refrigerator magnets or make your own.

PLEASE NOTE: This was one of my first blogs almost two years ago. I would like to give full credit to the blog where this was found:        SimpleK-12Blogs. The original blogger intended this kit for math homework, but I thought it could be applicable for any kind.

Now you have the tools ready for almost any homework challenge! Don’t forget to establish a routine of when and where to complete homework, too. My biggest professional struggle this year is also being a parent of a Kindergarten student–I have always been ‘just’ a teacher. I am adjusting and trying to enjoy this duel role, but homework can be a struggle. I put this kit together back when I first read the article, and it has become very handy! Since Evan was in preschool, we have added some glitter, liquid glue, a couple of packs of flashcards and a variety of crayons and the large size pencils. I will have our kit at school this week for “South Safari” if anyone would like to see it. I hope you will share your ideas for successful homework!

One Response to “BE HOMEWORK READY WITH THIS KIT”

1. Stewart & Mandy says:

Love this idea! We find ourselves scrambling all over the house at night to find these very supplies and for some reason, it has never occurred to me to put them ALL IN ONE PLACE! DUH! LOL! Great suggestion…we’ll be putting our “homework kit” together this weekend for sure!